Pre-Service English Teachers’ Perception towards Online Assessment Method

Marisa Yoestara, Zaiyana Putri, Meta Keumala, Zahratul Idami


This study aims to figure out pre-service English teachers’ perception towards online testing system. In this study, the writers employed questionnaire to collect the data, and it was distributed to a total of 82 English Department students in Banda Aceh and Langsa City, Aceh. The questionnaire was developed based on a relevant previous study’s questionnaire, and in this study, the questionnaire itself was conducted in Google form consisted of 13 questions that asked about the university students’ perception about online test. Then all obtained data were analyzed by using percentage formula. The findings indicate that63% or 55 respondents have positive perception toward online assessment. On the other hand, the negative perception goes to the other 37% or 27 respondents.      


english teachers, perceptions, online assessment

Full Text:



Alruwais, N., Wills, G., & Wald, M. (2018). Advantages and challenges of using e-assessment. International Journal of Information and Education Technology, 8(1), 34-37.

Alsadoon, H. (2017). Students’ perceptions of E-assessment at Saudi Electronic University.TOJET: The Turkish Online Journal of Educational Technology,16(1), 147-153

Amalia, R. (2018). Students' perception of Online Assessment use in Schoology in EFL Classrooms (Doctoral dissertation, UIN Sunan Ampel Surabaya).

Angus, S. D., & Watson, J. (2009). Does regular online testing enhance student learning in the numerical sciences? Robust evidence from a large data set. British Journal of Educational Technology, 40(2): 255-272.

Baleni, Z. G. (2015). Online formative assessment in higher education: Its pros and cons. Electronic Journal of e-Learning, 13(4), 228-236.

Cakiroglu, U., Erdogdu, F., Kokoc, M., & Atabay, M. (2017). Students’ preferences in online assessment process: Influences on academic performances. Turkish Online Journal of Distance Education, 18(1), 132-142.

Cirit, N. C. (2015). Assessing ELT Pre-Service Teachers via Web 2.0 Tools: Perceptions toward Traditional, Online and Alternative Assessment. Turkish Online Journal of Educational Technology-TOJET, 14(3), 9-19.

Creswell, J. W. (2014). Educational research: Planning, conducting, and evaluatingquantitative and qualitative research (4th ed.). Boston: Pearson.

Jabbarifar, T. (2009). The importance of classroom assessment and evaluation in educational system. In Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference of Teaching and Learning (pp. 1-9).

Khairil, L. F., & Mokshein, S. E. (2018). 21st century assessment: online assessment. International Journal of Academic Research in Business and Social Sciences, 8(1), 659-672.

Khan, S., & Khan, R. A. (2019). Online assessments: Exploring perspectives of university students. Education and Information Technologies, 24(1), 661-677.

Newstead, S. (2004). The purposes of assessment. Psychology Learning & Teaching, 3(2), 97-101.

Peat, M., & Franklin, S. (2002). Use of online and offline formative and summative assessment opportunities: have they had any impact on student learning?. In ASCILITE (pp. 505-513).

Suryani, A. (2010). ICT in education: Its benefits, difficulties, and organizational development issues. Jurnal Sosial Humaniora, 3(1), 13-33.



  • There are currently no refbacks.

Copyright (c) 2020 International Journal of Education, Language, and Religion

p-ISSN : 2721-429X
e-ISSN : 2721-4273

Published by Language Center of Universitas Teuku Umar
Website :
Email    :

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.